Saturday 18 June 2011

Woodchuck epiphany

Today I realised that a woodchuck (as in how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood*) is an animal, and not a profession. In my mind, I equated it with what, I suppose, would be a fairly specific profession in the field of lumberjackery. Like the one guy cuts a tree down, another guy does the sawing, then the woodchuck chucks in to the back of the van. Or truck, whatever they use. But no, its basically a Lidl brand beaver.

This made me think how many other things I take for granted aren't actually the thing that they actually are. If you can parse that sentence. Anyway, its pretty humbling for someone as incredibly intelligent, sexy and modest as myself.

Other examples that my afternoon of Wikipedia surfing has taught me:

Draconian does not mean "like Dracula".
Bill Withers is black, not white.
Holland only accurately refers to one area of The Netherlands.
Jam Master Jay is dead.
Chuck D is still alive.

*I prefer the updated version of this tongue twister: "How many bears would Bear Grylls grill, if Bear Grylls grilled bare bears?"

No comments:

Post a Comment